Rehab is an experience design and creative tech agency based in London. We focus on delivering the highest quality innovative digital and integrated creative technology work for our global clients, which include Nike, Google, WarnerMedia and Estée Lauder among many others.
We're looking for a Lead Backend Developer to join our Development team. This role reports into the Technical Director. As Lead Backend Developer you will be an experienced hands on developer who loves solving complex engineering problems as well as taking responsibility for technical leadership in projects. You enjoy working, collaborating and communicating with non technical disciplines, leading a small team of developers, or acting as the principal technical voice within a project. You will be involved in a variety of projects here at Rehab, from assisting in the development of platforms for major global brands through to investigating emerging technologies in our R&D programme.
This is a great role for a talented and experienced developer who wants to remain very much hands on but has the desire and aptitude to become a technical lead.
The key responsibilities of the Lead Backend Developer are as follows:
- Contributing the technical architecture and development of complex systems.
- Creating and managing technical project artefacts, including specifications, statements of work, task backlogs, agile boards, and documentation.
- Contributing to test-driven development of back-end applications, including the writing of unit test suites for project modules.
- Planning and scoping of project requirements and timings, working in tandem with the UX, design, production and QA teams.
- Mentoring junior members of the team, taking part in code reviews, and retrospective analyses of projects.
- Observing and defining coding standards, structure and best practices.
- Regularly evaluating and contributing to internal projects and codebases.
- Actively contributing to the R&D programme.
Who we are looking for
- Someone who truly lives our company values which are: Brave, Collaborative, Innovative and Inquisitive.
- Previous relevant experience is essential, ideally in media, creative or tech.
- Excellent Python skills.
- Extensive Django experience.
- Passion for application architecture, design patterns and modular coding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High-level working knowledge of common backend development tools and technologies, including Deployment Tools, Databases SQL and NoSQL, Web Servers, Caching, Encryption, Backups, Logging, common Python frameworks, API creation & integration, auth, etc.
- Good working knowledge of Git and repo administration including branching, merging and conflict resolution.
- Excellent networker with strong internal and external stakeholder management.
- Highly process driven and obsessive about detail.
- Understands the fast-paced nature of the creative and tech industries, and is able to embrace constant change with a calm and agile approach.
- Experience developing with Node.js.
- Working knowledge of PHP applications and development.
- Experience with managing cloud services such as Google Cloud Services and Amazon Web Services.
- Interest and experience in DevOps, specifically Docker and containerised solutions.
- Experience in common software development methodologies including agile and waterfall.
- Security testing experience.
- Experience with load-testing tools.
- Experience with image/video manipulation.
What we can offer you
- A competitive salary.
- Company pension scheme.
- Competitive maternity policy.
- 25 days holiday entitlement with additional discretionary days off.
- Additional schemes include: Medicash, Perkbox, Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loan, Eye Care Vouchers, and Employee Assistance Programme - a confidential 24/7 counselling line.
- Flexible working.
- Creative office in Shoreditch. (please note that teams are currently WFH and when it is possible to return to the office this would be 2-3 days a week).
- Bright, professional and friendly team.
- Participation in our regular Hackweeks and company-wide Hackathons.