The Technical Director is a leadership role within Rehab. You will lead technical strategy and delivery within the company to define the vision for our technical offering and be responsible for all members of the Technical team. You will need to work closely with all departments in agile, fluid teams to deliver best-in-class digital experiences. You will also regularly engage with our clients to help design solutions collaboratively.
You are an extremely talented programmer as well as a highly strategic thinker. You’ll have a wide remit which includes development, as well as determining best practice, data strategy, platforms, scalability, unit testing, framework standardisation, continuous integration and high level systems architecture.
The Technical Director role at Rehab is very much a hands-on one; you should be a highly proficient Software Engineer capable of contributing robust production code. Your code will set the standard for the team, and for the quality of all our projects.
You’ll be responsible for mentoring and managing Rehab’s talented development team, as well as commissioning and overseeing third party delivery partners. The development team is currently trusted and empowered to do their work within a flexible environment. Your people management ethos should reflect this.
This role would suit someone who is dynamic, an excellent networker and a clear communicator with the expertise to evaluate and implement new technologies, tools and
systems that scale with existing client side enterprise solutions. The role reports into the CEO.
The key responsibilities of the Technical Director are as follows:
- Technical ownership of all Rehab projects, driving solutions and innovation for our clients
- Working with the development and creative teams to design and deliver innovative digital experiences that live on the web, mobile and in physical spaces
- Leading the technical architecture and development of complex and highly scalable systems at enterprise level for bluechip clients.
- Mentoring, talent and line management of the development and QA team
- Evaluating client briefs and working with the new business team on ideas for pitches & proposals that embrace project constraints whilst delivering engaging experiences for users and value for clients.
- Helping define the technical vision and path for growth for our clients and the work we’re doing with them
- Explaining complex technical information in an accessible way to non-technical clients to ensure they understand the technical work we’re doing and its value to their business
- Sourcing, onboarding and oversight of any necessary specialist third-party development partners for near or offshore resource, and solutions including enterprise DXPs CMS, LMS, support and maintenance SLAs etc
- Ensuring projects are assigned the technical team necessary to ensure quality in timely delivery
- Working in tandem with the UX, design, production and QA teams to plan and scope project requirements and timings
- Creating and managing technical project artefacts, including specifications, statements of work and technical design documents
- Ensuring coding standards and development best practices are kept up to date and adhered to
- Oversight of DevOps setup relating to project deployment as well as providing technical oversight for the systems administrator / IT function, working with the Operations Director who provides operations oversight for systems admin.
Who we're looking for
- Someone who truly lives our company values which are: Brave, Collaborative, Innovative and Inquisitive.
- A track record of growing and leading a high performing development team.
- Demonstrable experience of leading architectural design decisions.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with both front and back-end web based technologies.
- Experience with various emerging technologies for web, mobile, and physical installations.
- A thorough understanding of technical project management approaches (agile, kanban etc) and software development methodologies (BDD, XP etc).
- Experience sourcing and overseeing third-party development partners.
- An appetite for experimenting with emerging technologies and trends.
- Enjoys working and collaborating across disciplines to solve problems.
- Clear and respectful communicator.
- Able to manage, then ultimately exceed expectations in all areas of the role.
- Excellent computer skills - familiar with Google Suite and Microsoft Office.
Development or engineering background with:
- Understanding of the following languages:
- Understanding of the following languages advantageous:
- Good working knowledge of Git repo administration (Git Flow) including branching, merging and conflict resolution.
- Strong DevOps knowledge, with experience configuring and deploying applications using Continuous Integration tools.
- Experience developing Voice and Messaging applications.
- Machine Learning exposure.
- Data Science experience.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platforms products and services.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services products.
- Experience of integrating modern front-end applications with Headless CMS implementations.
- Test-driven development of applications, including the writing of unit test suites for project modules.
- Experience in a product development environment.
- Experience leading a team of developers and technical department ideally in media, creative or tech.
- Experience with Headless CMS such as Contentful and Twillo.
What we can offer you
- A competitive salary.
- 25 days holiday allowance plus additional discretionary days off.
- Company pension scheme.
- Additional schemes include: Medicash, Perkbox, Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loan, Eye Care Vouchers, and Employee Assistance Programme - a confidential 24/7 counselling line.
- Flexible working.
- Creative office in Shoreditch. (please note that teams are currently WFH and when it is possible to return to the office this would be 2-3 days a week).
- Bright, professional and friendly team.
- Participation in our company-wide Hackathons.